You’re currently scoping the market for a security camera system to keep an eye on your work site right around the clock.
But how can you be sure that you’re choosing the right type of surveillance camera for your site or remote location, and how do you even know which questions you should be asking?
Deciding on which security camera system is right for your individual situation is a tough one, but with the right guidance, we can help you make a smart choice and get you the protection you need.
With so many security and surveillance options out there, regardless of if you’re leaning towards CCTV or a complete remote solar-powered camera system – there are particular questions you’re going to need to ask to ensure you’re properly covered.
If this isn’t your first time deciding on security cameras for your site, then you may be clued-in to some of these questions already, and you may have learned some of these the hard way.
We’ve collated all the questions you would need to ask when looking for a security camera system, to help you to truly distinguish and compare the value and benefits of each security camera system you look at.
Remember, not all cameras are created equal. A keen eye for the differences and the knock-on impact that could have on your business is vital to making the right choice for your company.
The 20 Questions You Should Ask Before Deciding On A Security Camera System
We’ve broken these 20 questions down by the core product element. These include solar power, the camera itself, internal storage, remote or offsite access, and system management.
If you’re looking at a security camera system which runs off power generated through efficient solar panels, these the questions you should be asking.
- How long will the system run in continued bad, overcast weather
- Will I have the ability to track power usage?
- Does the system know when it’s running low on power? And if so, what do you do about it.
Arguably one of the most important features of a security camera, the actual camera is what provides you with visibility to monitor your site. Finding out information on the quality (resolution) and access you have to the footage it produces is extremely important.
- What is the resolution of the cameras?
- Do they have interchangeable lenses?
- Do the cameras take colour images at night?
- Can I live-view the cameras remotely?
- Is the camera always alert or is there a sleep setting that takes some time to activate?
- Can alarm sequences add images?
It’s all good capturing images – but in what state are these images being stored? These questions everything you need to know about accessing and storing your surveillance imagery.
- Where are images stored? In the camera or off-site?
- How long are the images stored for?
- How safe is the data to hacking?
With a range of sophisticated remote access security camera systems on the market, there are questions to ask around what is capable and what you can control from a remote location.
- Can you alter system settings remotely
- Can the systems be monitored by a monitoring station
- Do I need to download software to view the cameras?
You want to make sure that the system you choose is up and running 24/7 (or when it should be). To make sure of this, ask the following questions.
- How are the systems in the field managed?
- How do you know the systems are working correctly?
- What do you do to test 3G signal strength?
- Do you have records of how the system has been performing?
- What is your camera “up time” target and how do you measure it?
Are there other questions you’ve come up with when looking for a solar powered security camera system? Let us know in the comments below.